Instant Connect FAQ
- What is TELUS Instant Connect Service?
- I currently use free public instant messaging (Yahoo, Google, MSN, Skype). Why would I want to use Instant Connect Service?
- What are the pros and cons of an in-house server implementation of Microsoft Office Communicator vs. Instant Connect?
- What makes TELUS Instant Connect Service different from other provider offerings? How can I be sure my content is secure?
- What types of collaboration features are included with Instant Connect Service?
- Can I use my Smartphone to message others over Instant Connect Service? What mobile devices & operating systems are supported?
- What operating systems, software & connectivity is required for TELUS Instant Connect Service?
Web Conferencing - Enhanced only
- What is the difference between desktop sharing & Office Live Meeting web conferencing?
- When using the web-conferencing capabilities, are all conference participants required to be subscribers of the service?
What is TELUS Instant Connect Service?
I currently use free public instant messaging (Yahoo, Google, MSN, Skype). Why would I want to use Instant Connect Service?
Instant Connect provides administrative and security controls that are unavailable with public messaging services. The prevalence of private instat messaging within the corporate environment ensure that increasing attention will be paid to contain potential threats by both hackers and malicious users. It also ensure that all employees are using the same platform and not wasting their time determining which method of communication and features should be used thus preserving productivity.
What are the pros and cons of an in-house server implementation of Microsoft Office Communicator vs. Instant Connect?
Instant Connect Service is built to enterprise standards with full redundancy and security in mind; the service is delivered from the TELUS Datacenter which has carrier grade internet connectivity and reliability. Most businesses do not have the same level of physical and network redundancy to ensure business continuity in the event of a local power outages or an unforeseen disaster. The cost of deploying a similar solution would be cost prohibitive for the majority of businesses.
What makes TELUS Instant Connect Service different from other provider offerings? How can I be sure my content is secure?
Instant Connect Service is powered by Microsoft Communication Server 2007 R2 and is secured with the highest level of encryption and ensure communications are private and protected. Users can set access levels to their personal information for every contact they have and they can block unwanted access to their account. All conversations can be logged in Conversation History and access from your Outlook desktop client.
What types of collaboration features are included with Instant Connect Service?
Instant Connect Service Basic Enhanced Desktop Client Microsoft Communicator Microsoft Communicator Web Access X X Hosted in Canada X X Instant Messaging Instant Messaging with Presence information X X Mobile Messaging for Blackberry & Windows Smartphones X X Audio and Video calling (PC to PC) X X File Transfer X X Web Conferencing Click to Microsoft Live Meeting from MS Outlook and Office X Desktop Sharing X Meeting Recording X Multipoint Video Conferencing X Meeting Attendee Capacity up to 250 participants
Can I use my Smartphone to message others over Instant Connect Service? What mobile devices & operating systems are supported?
Mobile Instant Messaging is currently supported for Windows Mobile devices. Blackberry Enterprise Messenger is also supported. Subscribers can download the mobile client from the TELUS UC Support Site at telus.com/ucsupport.
What operating systems, software & connectivity is required for TELUS Instant Connect Service?
To run this service effectively, you need:
- Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 or a later version of Windows
- Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2 client for desktop contact management, presence, file sharing and instant messaging
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 or higher for contact integration with Office Communicator 2007 R2 client
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 or higher for presence awareness integration within Office applications
- Microsoft Office Live Meeting 2007 client to quickly join meetings, schedule meetings, present meetings, record meetings, and share presentations, as well as other information. (applies to Enhanced subscriptions only)
- OS X version 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later version of Mac OS
- Microsoft Messenger for Mac 7.0.2 for contact management, presence, file sharing, instant messaging and multi-party audio and video conferencing.
Mobile Instant Messaging:
- Microsoft Office Communicator Mobile 2007 R2 for Windows Mobile or Blackberry IM
See www.telus.com/ucsupport for software downloads
- A PC camera, microphone and speakers for PC to PC voice and video conferencing
- High speed Internet connection
- Wireless data plan for mobile instant messaging over Blackberry or Windows Mobile 6.0 (or higher)
- TELUS Business Email subscription (Exchange managed by TELUS) for schedule “free/busy” or "out of office" integration
A registered domain name may be required to access the service
Web Conferencing - Enhanced only
What is the difference between desktop sharing & Office Live Meeting web conferencing?
Desktop sharing provides access to a computer's desktop from a remote location, allowing full control of the remote computer to make use of any of the resources that are housed on the hard drive. This feature is available with both the OCS Web Access or by using the OCS 2007 R2 desktop client.
Live Meeting is an online meeting space that is made available to subscribers of TELUS Instant Connect Enhanced. It provides users with the ability to collaborate on documents and deliver online presentations in real time. Features include - meeting recording, click-to Office Live Meeting for up to 250 participants and multipoint video conferencing. Instant Connect Enhanced subscribers must install the Office Live Meeting 2007 client found on www.telus.com/ucsupport to enable this functionality
When using the web-conferencing capabilities, are all conference participants required to be subscribers of the service?
If the participant has an account they must log into their Instant Connect Basic or Enhanced account to participate in the web conference. Those initiating the conference must be logged into an Instant Connect Enhanced account.
Anonymous users can connect to LiveMeeting if invited however they will have to setup the server settings on the client manually.
I'm worried about customer service & timely follow-up. What happens if something goes wrong?
Your organization will benefit from direct 24/7 business service support and an email system managed by trained specialists who are responsible for protecting your application and data. For technical support, call the TELUS Customer Contact Centre team directly at 1-877-846-4456.
Where do I go to access user guides and support documentation for my TELUS UC Services?
Support documentation is available on the TELUS UC Support Site at telus.com/ucsupport
For information or to order
Call your TELUS account executive
Request a quote or callback