Anti Virus Questions
- What is a virus?
- How does TELUS Anti-Virus service help protect my PC?
- When should I "disinfect" an infected file vs. "deleting" it?
- How can I ensure TELUS Anti-Virus is helping to protect me?
- Is it advantageous to have more than one anti-virus program installed on my computer at the same time?
- My Anti-Virus will not update properly (or) I am experiencing problems when scanning. What do I do?
What is a virus?
A virus is a tiny program designed to add itself to your PC without your knowledge or permission.
A virus can corrupt your data, damage files, or even damage the computer hardware, which can be expensive to fix. Viruses appear from many sources including e-mail, Web sites and instant messages.
How does TELUS Anti-Virus service help protect my PC?
TELUS Anti-Virus will:
- Scan your PC's hard drives to check for known viruses and the latest virus definition files. TELUS recommends that you save new incoming files on your hard drive before opening them so TELUS Anti-Virus can scan for viruses before opening.
- Obtains the most recent anti-virus definition files via Internet downloads. Default downloads are sought every 3 hours, but you can choose other time periods.
- Whether you are on or offline, TELUS Anti-Virus scans your PC for new viruses. You can also scan files that come in from other sources, such as disks.
When should I "disinfect" an infected file vs. "deleting" it?
- Disinfect a file: Recommended for files that are important
- Delete a file: Recommended for files that are not important, such as joke file via an e-mail attachment
- Ignore a file: Recommended only for advanced users.
How can I ensure TELUS Anti-Virus is helping to protect me?
You can conduct an ant-virus test to ensure you are receiving protection. There are Web sites that offer free anti-virus testing tools.
Is it advantageous to have more than one anti-virus program installed on my computer at the same time?
No. You will not gain any additional protection. The presence of 2 different anti-virus programs on the same computer may cause conflicts that may jeopardize the protective capabilities of the software and could considerably slow down your computer. Make sure to uninstall any other security software prior to installing TELUS Internet Security software.
My Anti-Virus will not update properly (or) I am experiencing problems when scanning. What do I do?
Some anti-virus issues you may be experiencing:
- Anti-virus service is no longer listed on the left menu
- Anti-virus won't update properly
- Fails to scan properly
- Crashes during the scan
- Cscan32.dll error when starting TELUS Anti-Virus
All of these errors can be solved using the same simple method. Copy and paste the following patch link into your browser and follow the instructions below:
- Save the file to your desktop
- Shutdown the TELUS Anti-Virus software
- Run the file (downloaded patch)
- Restart your computer when prompted.